Harmful Plants And Weeds To Horses

Having horses means providing the best care possible, including healthy food, good training, and plenty of room to run around. Horses are most often bred on stud farms, meaning that the horses will have access to large pieces of land, and while this is a good thing in terms of exercises and controlling stress, it also means that a horse might accidentally come across a plant that could cause it harm.

There are a lot of poisonous plants throughout the world, and many of them grow readily in open fields, often presenting as nothing more than a harmless weed. For those that want to keep their horses safe, it’s best to keep an eye out for the following poisonous plants.

1. The Nightshade Family

Many of the plants that are a part of the Nightshade family are dangerous to horses as well as humans. Black and bittersweet nightshade are two examples, but horse nettle is another one that can cause extensive damage to any horse that eats it.

Tomatoes and potatoes, too, are part of the Nightshade family, meaning that they should be removed from any paddocks as much as possible. An animal that eats the plant might suffer damage to their central nervous systems and eating more than a few kilograms can even lead to death. A loss of appetite, coordination, and dilated pupils are some signs of Nightshade poisoning.

2. Maple Leaves

Although it isn’t common knowledge, the leaves off of Maple Trees are extremely toxic and cause the kidneys to shut down if eaten by a horse in large quantities. And it’s not just the fresh leaves that can cause problems, but even those that have fallen off of the tree and onto the ground.

In fact, leaves can retain their toxicity for up to a month after falling. Some of the symptoms of maple leaf poisoning include increased heart rate, problems breathing, coma, and even just consuming a few kilograms can quickly cause a fatality.

3. Buttercups

Buttercups are not the most appealing plants to horses, and they will often avoid them completely even if they have access to them. Eating their leaves can cause irritation within the horse’s mouth, and they’ll quickly leave the rest.

It’s worth noting that the leaves are only toxic when eaten fresh, but once they have been sufficiently dried into hay, they lose their toxicity completely, and the owner can spend their money on their favourite games and claiming a NZ casino bonus rather than vet bills.

4. Jimsonweed

This plant is fairly unique plant with purple and white flowers as well as seed capsules that are covered in sines. The entirety of the plant is not edible for either humans or horses and should be avoided at all costs. A horse that has consumed

Jimsonweed will have a fast pulse, dilation of the pupils, an extremely dry mouth, seizures, and may fall into a coma. While does is not that common, it’s still possible if the animal eats enough.